Raise your hand if you never have the right ingredients on hand. Yep, me too!
Cream of Chicken Soup and Cream of Mushroom soup are just those kinds of ingredients that are hard to keep on hand. So, instead, make your own homemade substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup!
Personally, I never buy cream soups – be it Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Celery. I also rarely use sour cream and cream cheese as a casserole base.
See all my other quick and homemade substitute recipes here!
Make your own homemade substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup
I am able to avoid these processed foods and these extra expenses by making a simple white sauce using everyday ingredients – and it takes no time! I thank my mother for this wonderful recipe – and I use it ALL the time!
This sauce takes a few minutes – and I can now whip it up without even thinking. I love to make it in a saute pan, and then directly add it to pasta, chicken, casseroles – whatever I like! Recently I added it to mixed vegetables and shredded chicken, and served it over wild rice. Soooo good!
(Click here to see how I make easy shredded chicken!)
Try it out – and you will never by cream soups again! I make up to two or three cups for a large casserole.
Substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup: Homemade White Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Milk (can use instead ½ cup milk and ½ chicken or vegetable broth)
- Your choice of Seasoning: S&P, Garlic Powder, Celery Salt or Seasoned Salt (Nutmeg adds a unique sweet flavor)
- In a non-stick saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour and salt and mix until a nice paste.
- Slowly add 1 cup of milk and spices, stirring constantly.
- Turn to medium high and stir until boiling and thick. Taste and season until flavorful!
- Add more flavor by seasoning with Parmesan cheese, a teaspoon of lemon juice, or a few tablespoons of chopped chives or parsley.