Raise your hand if you never have the right ingredients on hand. Yep, me too!
Cream of Chicken Soup and Cream of Mushroom soup are just those kinds of ingredients that are hard to keep on hand. So, instead, make your own homemade substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup!
Personally, I never buy cream soups – be it Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Celery. I also rarely use sour cream and cream cheese as a casserole base.
See all my other quick and homemade substitute recipes here!
Make your own homemade substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup
I am able to avoid these processed foods and these extra expenses by making a simple white sauce using everyday ingredients – and it takes no time! I thank my mother for this wonderful recipe – and I use it ALL the time!
This sauce takes a few minutes – and I can now whip it up without even thinking. I love to make it in a saute pan, and then directly add it to pasta, chicken, casseroles – whatever I like! Recently I added it to mixed vegetables and shredded chicken, and served it over wild rice. Soooo good!
(Click here to see how I make easy shredded chicken!)
Try it out – and you will never by cream soups again! I make up to two or three cups for a large casserole.
Substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup: Homemade White Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Milk (can use instead ½ cup milk and ½ chicken or vegetable broth)
- Your choice of Seasoning: S&P, Garlic Powder, Celery Salt or Seasoned Salt (Nutmeg adds a unique sweet flavor)
- In a non-stick saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour and salt and mix until a nice paste.
- Slowly add 1 cup of milk and spices, stirring constantly.
- Turn to medium high and stir until boiling and thick. Taste and season until flavorful!
- Add more flavor by seasoning with Parmesan cheese, a teaspoon of lemon juice, or a few tablespoons of chopped chives or parsley.
Deals that are saving my hide lately...
🧒 For your kid - I found these printable activity packs for my toddler that are LIFESAVERS. My daughter literally wants to do these activities for hours every day. They are called the Ultimate Preschool Activity Bundles, and there are activities for every theme. Each activity has dozens of pages that are printable pages that teach number and letter recognition, colors, counting, patterns, and much more. These are my favorites:
- ⭐Under the Sea Pack
- ⭐Color Matching Bundle
- ⭐Do a Dot Numbers
- ⭐Do a Dot Alphabet
- ⭐Do a Dot Bundle
- ⭐Busy Book for Toddlers
- ⭐ Editable Daily Routine Cards
🧹For your cleaning routine - I have started getting my cleaning products on Grove Collaborative - and they literally have changed my cleaning routine. Right now they are running their deal for my favorite Plastic-Free Cleaning Line for free, so make sure you check it out. Here are some tips to get the most out of this deal:
- 🧹If you already have a Grove account, use a new email address to get this deal...and then cancel.
- 🧹Make sure to set a calendar reminder to cancel the Grove VIP trial after a month. No harm no foul.
- 🧹 Choose the Plastic-Free Hand Soap Set ($45 value) and get all everything for free.
- 🧹Fill your cart with $20 worth of products you need anyway...
🌮 For Dinner - I know every mom in the world is talking about Hello Fresh - but I'm here to tell you that EveryPlate is better and cheaper than Hello Fresh. I have used it for years with my own pennies...and it really gives me life.
EveryPlate sends me dinner recipes and ingredients right to my door - but for less than $10/serving. Their meals are the same as other providers but HALF the price. It doesn't matter how many $90 off coupons other providers throw at you - this dinner box is still cheaper.
They use less packaging (yay saving the environment!) so they can charge less. They also offer fewer meals per week with a wider rotation. I have used them for over a year, and we have loved every single meal.
When I use EveryPlate, I can actually forget that I have to cook dinner. The ingredients are already in my fridge.
⭐ Stop meal planning and try EveryPlate this week with a $20 discount. Click here to get you first box at $2.49/serving!